ACF Showcase: From Landmark to Lowertown
In partnership with the acclaimed new music ensemble Zeitgeist, the American Composers Forum announces a Call for Scores for the inaugural ACF Showcase concert.
Four scores from the total applicant pool will be chosen for the performance. The composers of the pieces will each receive $500 to defray travel and lodging costs to come to Saint Paul, MN for rehearsals and the performance of their work on May 21-22, 2014.
Download guidelines here.
- Entries must be submitted electronically via this link on or before 11:59pm on February 17, 2014.
- Entries submitted by mail or means other than electronically will not be eligible for consideration.
- The pieces selected for the performance will be announced by March 24, 2014. Rehearsals and the performance of the pieces will occur on May 21-22, 2014, in Saint Paul, MN.
- The composers of the pieces will be expected to be in attendance.
- Each will receive $500 to defray travel and lodging costs.
- Applications must be submitted electronically via this link: http://americancomposersforum.slideroom.com
- Each applicant is limited to one submission. There is no fee to enter the competition.
- Pieces should be 8-to-15 minutes in length.
- The piece can be newly-composed (a premiere) or it can have received prior performances.
- It should have been written within the last 5 years.
- If the piece has been performed, it should have received a maximum of 5 performances.
- Zeitgeist is a quartet consisting of piano, woodwinds, and two percussion.
- The following instruments are readily available:
- Woodwinds: Bb Clarinet, Bb Bass Clarinet , Soprano Saxophone
- Keyboards: Piano
- Percussion (2 players): Marimba (4-1/2 octaves), Vibraphone, Orchestra Bells, Temple Blocks, Tom Toms, Bass Drum, Cymbals and Gongs, Snare Drums, Bongos, Tambourine, Cowbells, Flexatones, Slapsticks, Whistles, Vibraslap, and assorted small percussion
- Ideally, the piece will utilize the full ensemble, although pieces scored for 2 or 3 of the players are acceptable (no solos).
- In addition to the demographic information requested, each applicant will be asked to submit:
- A pdf (up to 10 MB) of the full score of the piece (no individual parts need be submitted at this time).
- If available, an mp3 recording (up to 30 MB) of the same piece, or video footage (up to 60 MB).
- NOTE: Submissions will be judged anonymously. Neither the composer’s name nor any identifying marks may appear anywhere on the score and/or recording submitted for the competition.
WHO MAY ENTER
- Applicants can be of any age and nationality, but must be residing in the United States or Canada at the time of the May 21-22, 2014 rehearsals and performance.
- Employees and board members of the American Composers Forum may not enter the competition; and members of Zeitgeist are not eligible to enter.
- You do not have to be a member of the American Composers Forum to enter this contest. If your piece is chosen, a one-year’s membership is expected.
APPLICATION DEADLINE and INFORMATION
- Applications must be submitted electronically on or before 11:59pm on February 17, 2014.
- Late applications will not be considered.
- All performance, copyright, and royalty rights of the selected pieces remain with the composer.
- The decision of the contest jury will be final.
- The finalists will be announced by March 24, 2014.
- The announcement will be posted on the website of the American Composers Forum and each applicant will receive an email announcing the decision.