Live Music for Dance Minnesota
In partnership with NewMusicUSA, Live Music for Dance Minnesota expands on the previous work ACF has done in support of Minnesota composers and choreographers, and leverages new money opportunities for composers, choreographers, and musicians to expand their horizons as artists.
The objectives of the program are:
- to support collaborations between composers and choreographers;
- to foster meaningful collaborations between composers and dance companies; and
- to support and encourage the use of live music for dance performances.
We are pleased to announce the 2014's awardees!
Category 1: Minnesota-based composer/choreographer teams receiving funding to support the creation of new work.
· Jocelyn Hagen (composer) and Penelope Freeh (choreographer) are creating an evening-length dance opera called Test Pilot scored for string quartet, six singers and four dancers. This work explores the birth of powered, human flight from the perspective of Wilbur and Orville Wright’s sister, Katharine.
· Paul John Rudoi (composer) and Taja Will (choreographer) plan to create and perform a work revolving around the poetry of Louise Gluck. As artists with very different creative approaches—one traditional and the other improvisatory—their piece will explore their different styles.
· Janika Vandervelde (composer) and Deborah Jinza Thayer (choreographer) will build on a previous collaboration which resulted in their work Diana Takes a Swim, by expanding it into a dance opera for multiple dancers and performers. This work will explore women’s relationship to power.
· Jennifer Weir (composer) and Joe Chvala (choreographer) plan to create new movement vocabulary and rehearsal drills based on the katsugi style of taiko drumming. They will collaborate to incorporate these elements into a new work.
Category 2: Minnesota-based professional dance companies receiving funding to commission an American composer to write a piece for them or to hire musicians to perform live during their performance(s).
· BodyCartography Project (Justin Jones, composer): BodyCartography Project will commission Justin Jones to create a sound scape for The Empaths, a work that deals with kinesthetic empathy and the relationship between movement and change.
· Brownbody (Thomasina Petrus, musician): Brownbody will engage Thomasina Petrus to perform a variety of Billie Holiday songs and provide a soundscape for their production, a work that offers an alternative look at the country’s tragic history of racial oppression and its residual impact.
· Twin Cities Ballet of Minnesota (Jordan Cox, composer): Twin Cities Ballet of Minnesota will commission Jordan Cox to write a score for their adaptation of Beauty and the Beast.
· Zenon Dance Company (Mila Vocal Ensemble, musicians): Zenon will engage the Mila Vocal Ensemble, known for their skillful interpretation of Eastern European and Russian music, for their production, To the Garden.
For the past year's program guidelines, click here.
For more information contact: