Want to add your own listing? fill out this form.
- This event has passed.
SHE Festival of Women in Music
March 18, 2021 @ 3:30 pm - 4:30 pm CDT
One event on March 18, 2021 at 7:00 pm
One event on March 22, 2021 at 6:00 pm
The SHE Festival returns for its third year in an all virtual format. SHE is presented by the Department of Music in partnership with the University of Arkansas Community Music School.
The festival begins and ends with vignette performances by the Department of Music faculty and students. These mini concerts are featured on the Department of Music YouTube Channel – youtube.com/c/uarkmusic and announced via social media and listed below.
In addition to the vignettes, the festival welcomes five amazing guest artists. These women bring their experience as active performers, composers, and researchers to the 2021 SHE Festival for our audiences to grow and learn. Each event will be hosted on Zoom (click on the times in red below) and archived on the Department of Music’s YouTube Channel.
Date & Time:
- Thursday, March 18, 2021 – Phyllis Lewis-Hale
- at 3:30pm CDT – Voice Masterclass on Negro Spirituals
- at 7pm CDT – Lecture Presentation: Afro-Creole Folk Music of Louisiana and the Caribbean
- Monday, March 22, 2021 – Lara Downes
Vignette Concert Series
- Sakura Rieck (violin) with Miho Oda Sakon (piano) – “The Puppet Show” by Josephine Trott
- Catalina Ortega (flute) – “Memory” for solo flute by Chen Yi (a BQ and CQ composer)
- Eric Troiano (baritone saxophone) – “Black Mary” by Shelley Washington
- Lorilee Erdman (oboe) – “Rainbow” by Alyssa Morris
- Katelyn Barry (oboe) – “Whirlwind” by Thea Musgrave
- Michael Lindsey (oboe) – “Niobe” by Thea Musgrave
- Sophia Lopez (piano) – “Piano Sonata” by Marianna von Martinez & “Honeysuckle at Dusk” by Florence Price
- Timothy Scott (flute) with Dorinda Scott (piano) – “Nocturne” by Lili Boulanger
- Sungkun Jung (piano) – Nocturne in G minor by Fanny Mendelssohn
- Helen Becqué (piano) – Piano Prelue by Julia Perry
- Moon-Sook Park (soprano) – “Kashiri 2020” by Moon-Sook Park
- Asher Armstrong (piano) – Sarabande by Dace Aperāne
- University Symphony Orchestra – “Pie Jesu” by Lili Boulanger
- David Nystrom (piano) – Romance No. 1, Op. 21 by Clara Schumann
- DJ Talbot (piano) – Imrovisation No. 4 by Amy Beach
Learn more by visiting their website here.