Yousif Sheronick: Writing For World Percussion
January 30 @ 10:00 am - 12:00 pm CST
A Focus On Middle Eastern Percussion And Frame Drums
An interactive session from Yousif’s studio where he will answer questions about, and demonstrate, various world percussion instruments.
What The Workshop Will Include
- The guidelines when writing for world percussion.
- Playing techniques on Dumbek, Tar and Riq.
- Middle Eastern Rhythms – how they are played and embellished.
- Iqa’at (traditional Middle Eastern Rhythms)
- See excerpts from works written for the duoJalal.
- See written examples of compositions written for Yousif.
- Hear Yousif demonstrate one of his own compositions.
Key Questions/Topics Addressed During Workshop:
- Which instruments work well together?
- Notation: What notation works best for most players?
- How little, or how much, should I write for world percussion?
- How many different sounds should I write for?
- Which instruments sound culturally specific and which are more general?
- What should I avoid when writing for these instruments?