Choral composer (primarily a cappella), arranger, editor.
- Born in southern Delaware, 1957
- BMAS degree-Music Theory & Composition, University of Delaware, Cum Laude, 1999
- Two children, six grandchildren, one great-granddaughter, a spouse, and two cats
- Retired to Maryland in 2018
- Currently singing with the Salisbury Chorale, Salisbury MD
Music & Composition Credits:
- The motet "O Virtus Sapientiae," based on Hildegard von Bingen's antiphon, has been performed in several interntional venues including: New York City (The Canby Singers), Edmonton (Canada), Mallersdorf Pfaffenberg (Bavaria), Umeå (Sweden), Schenectady (NY), Minneapolis (MN), Nice (France), American University Beirut (Lebanon), and Washington DC (USA). A recording by the women of Umeå Akademiska Kör is featured as part of "The Dinner Party" by Judy Chicago (audio commentary accompanying Hildegard's Place Setting) at the Brooklyn Museum.
- "Down in the River to Pray" arrangement has been performed in the US, and by the women of Selwyn College Chapel Choir (Sarah A. E. MacDonald, dir.), Cambridge, England.
- Cheryl was Participant in Gregg Smith Singers Composers Readings Workshop, July 2005, with sections of "Mass in E-Minor: From the Wounded Earth."
Music holds the historical record of humanity and is the repository of our hopes, dreams, fears and nightmares. Each of us is responsible for its care.
Describe your music
- "Mass in E-Minor: From the Wounded Earth" for a cappella mixed chorus SATB divisi (some incidental soli); performance time approx 35 minutes
- "O Virtus Sapientiae" SATB or SSAA Original polyphonic motet based on a Hildegard von Bingen antiphon; performance time approx 3 minutes
- "Barb'ra Allen" SSAATTBB a cappella, a theme and variation setting of the traditional ballad; performance time approx 5 1/2 minutes
- "An Old Man" SSAATB or SSMMAA a cappella, lyrics of Edward Lear; performance time approx 4 minutes
- "On a Christmas Eve" SATB with alto recorder (or soprano vocal solo), lyrics of Robert Herrick; performance time approx 3 minutes
- "Blackbird in Winter" SATB (some divisi) with recorder/flute obbligato, lyrics of Wallace Stevens; performance time approx 2 1/2 minutes
- Arrangement of the traditional gospel song "Down in the River to Pray" for SSAATB or SSMMAA a cappella; 3 1/2 minutes
- A cappella setting of Faure's "Pavane" using an all vocal "orchestra"; performance time approx 6 minutes
- A cappella arrangements of early jazz standard "On the Sunny Side of the Street"; performance time approx 2 1/2 minutes
- "Love awoke one winter's night" SATB setting of an anonymous winter poem
- "Addendumb" a short a cappella riff based on Benny Goodman's recording of "Sing, sing, sing with a Swing"; performance time approx 2 1/2 minutes
- "Goin' home" from the Largo of the symphony From the New World, Op. 95, by Antonín Dvořák, a cappella setting for SSAATBB chorus (used by permission of Theodore Presser Co.)
Please contact the composer for information, scores and permissions.