Call for Scores!
The international composition competition “Kompolize” by psophos and the Lietzeorchester eV Berlin gives contemporary composers the opportunity to present their works to a broader public and to gain experience with a large symphonic orchestra.
New works that meet the following conditions are eligible:
- Maximum line-up: symphony orchestra (18.104.22.168-22.214.171.124, timp, perc, str).
- The acceptance or performance of works with a wider cast (such as soloist (s), larger wind instruments, live electronics, etc.) is possible upon request. A detailed cast list must be enclosed with the score.
- The duration of the submitted work must be between 5 and 15 minutes.
- Non-musical content, programs, or texts on which the composition is based must be specified when submitting.
- Scores that are difficult to read (eg printed too small) will not be admitted to the competition. The score must be in A3 or A4.
- The composition must not have been premiered yet. Until the world premiere there can be no (pre) performance. Third party rights to the orchestra that conflict with the performance must not exist.
- The musical and technical requirements of the composition must correspond to the possibilities of an ambitious amateur orchestra. The decision is subject to playability testing.
- Contacting the artistic director or musicians of the Lietzeorchester eV Berlin in connection with a submission leads to exclusion from the competition.
- Each participant can submit a maximum of one work per call. A work can be submitted to a maximum of two calls.
- Members of the Lietzeorchester eV Berlin and their relatives are excluded from participation.
In the event of nomination, the composer must provide easily readable and playable voice material as a print template by the end of August 2020. The score and parts must contain precise entries for dynamics and phrasing, bar numbers and music letters. Rental fees for notes that have already been published must not be incurred. The following conditions are accepted when sending in a work:
- Agreement with the performance of the work in the concert of the Lietzeorchester eV Berlin and with a concert recording.
- Presence of the composer at a rehearsal and a concert (travel and accommodation costs are not reimbursed).
- Willingness to give an introduction to the work in the program booklet.
- Consent to the digital sending of the individual voices to the orchestra musicians.
- Communication takes place in German or English.
All living composers are eligible to participate. The submissions are collected, anonymized by psophos and presented to a jury made up of active members of the Lietzeorchester eV Berlin is composed. Submitted materials will not be returned.
So far, relatively few female composers have participated in the Kompolize. psophos and the Lietzeorchester eV Berlin would be very happy to receive additional award winners and therefore call on composers in particular to submit their works.
The closing date for entries is April 30, 2020. The winner will be announced in July 2020. The decision of the jury is not contestable, the judges’ decision is final. The selected piece will be premiered in Berlin in February 2021. If you are interested in participating, please send
- a printed or digitized copy (PDF) of the score
- a detailed cast list
- and if possible a computer-generated recording
By post to psophos , Havelberger Str. 8, 10559 Berlin, Germany
Online via Kompolize: Upload to www.psophos.de
By email to email@example.com (the attachment must not exceed 10 MB in size)