The Ithaca College School of Music is pleased to announce the 2022 Heckscher Foundation–Ithaca College International Composition Prize. This year the competition will award the best work for percussion (1 player) solo or with electronics (fixed media or live electronics).
Multi percussion (from 1 to as many instruments as needed) and a set up with percussion instruments of any kind is possible. Electronics may be fixed media or live electronics. Ithaca College will provide stereo (only) diffusion, 2 stage monitors and headphones for click track/metronome if needed.
The work’s duration must be a maximum 15 minutes. Pieces submitted to the competition may have been previously performed, recorded or awarded other prizes.
There are NO restrictions on the age, location, or citizenship of the applicants. Composers retain all performance and publication rights to the works that are submitted.
The composer of the winning work will receive a cash award of $1,500 and a performance by percussionist and Ithaca College faculty Michael Truesdell at a concert in the spring of 2023 at Ithaca College. The composer of the winning work is welcome (but not required) to attend the award performance.
Please note: The Heckscher Foundation-Ithaca College Composition Prize will not provide travel/accommodation allowance.
Submission deadline is November 15, 2022. The winning work will be announced on the Ithaca College Heckscher Competition website by December 7, 2022. The winner will be contacted via e-mail.
- Submissions must be anonymous.
- Only ONE submission per composer will be accepted.
- Score and recording must show the title of the work only. Should any part of the composer’s name be legible on the score, recording or linked URLs, the entry will be disqualified.
- For submitting materials electronically, please use the online entry form found on this link. Or copy paste the following URL into your web browser’s search window: https://docs.google.com/forms/d/e/1FAIpQLSeUUrqh5hqBcSDNseLrlFdx5YdM0aZuL2-rceITf-_lTd8kdg/viewform?usp=sf_link
- To submit your materials, you will need to provide direct URLs to the following:
- Anonymous score in PDF format (no other format will be accepted)
- Anonymous recording: audio or video (if available).
- Text or PDF document containing your full name, address, telephone number and e-mail address. This document should be labeled with the title of your piece plus the words “contact info”, example: “Mypiece-contactinfo.pdf”
- PDF, audio, video and text files should be uploaded to platforms such as Dropbox, Megaupload, or any hosting space, making sure that no part of the URL or linked page reveals the identity of the composer. Your materials must be available at the provided URL until at least December 30, 2022.
- Electronic submissions or links sent via e-mail or any other method aside from the specified above will not be accepted.
- If you are submitting materials in hard copy:
- Bound, anonymous score
- Recording (audio CD only)
- Sealed envelope containing the composer’s name, address, telephone number and e-mail address (Write only the title of the musical work on the envelope.)
- Please send all materials to:
Whalen Center for Music
Attn: Composition Area/Heckscher Prize
953 Danby Rd
Ithaca, NY 14850
Please note that online submission via the online form and mail-in submissions are the only valid forms of submission. Do NOT send materials or links via e-mail. Electronic submissions are strongly encouraged.
Should you have any questions, please send an e-mail to Timmy Samuel Yesudasan [email protected]