Call for Scores!
Receipt Deadline: Friday, February 12, 2021
Contact: submissions at very-small dot org
The miniaturist group a very small consortium, based at the University of Wisconsin–Green Bay, seeks compositions for performance in the spring of 2021. All submitted works must be miniatures; a work may qualify as a miniature in one of two ways:
- the piece takes 60 seconds or less to perform;
- the piece consists of 100 or fewer notes, with the definition of “note” left to the discretion of the composer.
We will consider works that feature instruments/voices from the list below as soloists or in any combination. Please note that due to the ongoing pandemic restrictions, we must keep the ensembles small; please limit the size of your ensemble to 4 or fewer musicians from the list below. Additionally, we will consider graphic scores, text-based scores, works that include fixed-media playback, and scores with open/flexible instrumentation. Special consideration will be given to works featuring soprano and cello (as a duo and/or with 1-2 other players).
- Soprano voice (1)
- Mezzo-soprano voice (1)
- Baritone voice (1)
- B-flat clarinet (1)
- Alto saxophone (1)
- Trumpet (1)
- Horn (1)
- Trombone (1)
- Violin (1)
- Cello (1)
- Piano (1)
- Percussion (1) – (available instruments: all standard orchestral percussion, 5-octave marimba, vibraphone. Please email if you have questions.)
Beyond the length and instrumentation concerns stated above, there are no restrictions on this call. We are committed to inclusion and diversity in our programming; composers of any age, race, religion, gender, gender expression, or sexual orientation are encouraged to apply.
Submissions are accepted via email only. Please send scores (and parts, if applicable) in PDF format to the email address below. MP3s of performances or MIDI renderings are welcome but not necessary. Please also include the following information:
- Contact information (please include your full name, pronouns, and an email address)
- a very small biography (2-3 sentences, please)
- very small program notes (1-2 sentences, please)
- We plan to stream, then archive this concert online: Please include a sentence granting us permission to stream and archive your piece if selected.
Scores must be received by Friday, February 12, 2021 for full consideration. Scores arriving after this deadline will be retained for possible future consideration.
Submission Email Address: email@example.com