2021 composition program: May 22-31
The Alba Music Composition Program takes place in Alba, Italy, nestled in the foothills of the Alps, during the annual Alba International Music Festival. For a little over one week at the end of each May, a select group of eight (8) to twelve (12) composer participants, chosen by a panel of professional composers, descend on this small, picturesque town, and works one-on-one with distinguished faculty, composer-in-residence, and has their music performed and recorded by a top-flight resident professional ensemble.
- Private lessons: Participants receive one-on-one private composition lessons with our resident faculty who include Mary Ellen Childs, J Anthony Allen, and the 2021 Composer-In-Residence, Hannah Lash. Additional lessons may also be available, time permitting, with any of our visiting composers.
- Masterclasses & Workshops: Daily workshops and masterclasses are led by the composition faculty, the Composer-In-Residence, visiting composers, and performers. These sessions focus on variety of topics, ranging from issues of craft, to professional career planning.
- Performance: Each participant will be invited to submit one work of up to six (6) minutes in length for the resident ensemble, the Hub New Music. All works will be premiered on an Alba Music Festival Wet Ink concert. Furthermore, the quartet will choose one composer to receive a commission to compose a new work as part of a future concert season. Participants will also be considered for reprise performances of their music by the quartet.
- Professional Recording: Each participant will receive a professional, edited recording of their work as part of a dedicated recording session.
- VIP Access: Participants will have complimentary, reserved seating at the evening festival concerts, as well as invitations to select, special events. We also include a complimentary tour of an area winery, complete with a wine tasting hosted by a local sommelier.
- Future Opportunities: All alumni of the Alba Composition Program are eligible to receive a paid commission to compose a new work for a premiere as part of a future Alba Festival . In 2017, the first Alba Alumni Commission was awarded to 2016 alumnus, Jonathan Posthuma. Awards have since been given to Benjamin Webster, Jesse Edwards and Nicky Sohn, all 2017 program alumni.
Additional Program Information (facilities, typical day, etc.) HERE
tuition and fees
2021 Tuition: 2,195 euro / 2,600 USD
This fee includes all elements of the program except travel, meals, and accommodation. An inclusive meal and accommodation plan is available (see below).
The tuition will be payable in three installments:
- Refundable Deposit: €500 (due on acceptance to the program)
- February 1, 2021: First Installment: €1000
- March 1, 2021: Final Installment: €695 (less any financial aid awarded)
Housing/meal packages and other program options here