Calliope’s Call Art Song and Vocal Chamber Music Call for Scores
Boston-based art song performance group Calliope’s Call is holding a Call for Scores for the upcoming program, Faces of War. We are looking for works based on themes of war such as the soldier’s experience, the impact of war on civilians, and the hidden costs of global conflict.
Composers whose work is selected will receive:
- At least 2 performances of the winning work(s) during the Calliope’s Call concerts in Boston, MA in Spring 2023
- An audio and video recording of one of the performances
- Advertising on our social media outlets, Calliope’s Call website, and in our newsletter
– The title of this program is Faces of War. Texts should focus on calling attention to the many costs of war on society.
– Submitted works must be for medium voice and piano, and can be written for solo voice (medium voice), duet (SA, SB, or AB) or trio (SAB). Works that feature other instruments besides piano cannot be considered at this time.
– Works may be a cappella or with piano.
– Works must be no longer than 10’ in duration. Longer works may be submitted as long as there is a possibility to excerpt portions or movements of the piece.
– Please only submit original art songs; excerpts of operatic works will not be considered.
– Submissions from any composer, regardless of age or citizenship, are welcome.
– Compositions may not require electronics of any kind. Our venues are not able to support electronic set-ups;
– Limit 1 work per $20 application fee. Applicants may submit up to 3 applications
Each composer must submit:
- A legible score and parts of professional quality;
- An application form to include the composer’s name, address, telephone number, e-mail address, a 250-word biography, and a 200-word explanation of how their work fits the theme of the program;
- A digital recording of the work. MIDI realizations are acceptable;
- A $20 application fee via PayPal.
All materials will be submitted online.
Instructions for Submitting Materials:
– All materials (Application form, Score, Recordings, Biography, Paragraph about the work) should be uploaded to the Calliope’s Call website at: http://calliopescall.org/score_call.php
– All uploaded documents, scores, and recordings must be labeled in the following manner:
Last name_First name_Title (i.e. Doe_Jane_Biography)
– Multi-movement works may be submitted as different tracks, with the following titles:
Last name_First name_Title_Movement (i.e. Doe_Jane_ArtSong_1)
– Please only submit files and Paypal payments once: if you experience a problem with your submission, please contact Evan Leontis with your questions.
– All materials (Application form, Score, Recordings, Biography, Paragraph about the work) should be uploaded to Calliope’s Call (below)
All materials must be received by January 15, 2023 and applicants will be notified by e-mail no later than March 1, 2023.
For further information or questions, please email Evan Leontis
Applications Accepted beginning June 26, 2022