The Composer’s Institute at Lake George Music Festival
August 11-22, 2024
Made possible by the Pusateri Family Fund
About the Institute:
Now entering its 5th season, the Composers Institute brings together some of the most promising young composers from across the country for a week of study and creative exchange. Under the mentorship of composer and Institute Director Alyssa Weinberg, students will attend a variety of seminars, masterclasses and private lessons, while being able to participate in the vibrant musical and social life of the Lake George Music Festival. Each selected composer will be asked to write a new work for string quartet, to be workshopped, performed and recorded by our ensemble-in-residence The Rhythm Method.
Fellows are typically housed with host families in the surrounding area. Lunch will be provided daily by the festival. Dinners are the responsibility of the fellow. The Village of Lake George offers many musician friendly meal options. Fellows are responsible for their own transportation to and from the festival. Must be over 18 to apply. There are no restrictions on nationality or location of applicants.
*Starting in 2024, 95% of all fellows will receive some amount of scholarship. Consideration for scholarship will be based on both financial need and merit.
What to expect:
- Masterclasses with distinguished guest composers
- Individual composition lessons
- Rehearsals, performance and professional recording of a new work for the Rhythm Method String Quartet
- Workshops, seminars and discussions on issues relevant to the 21st century musician
Costs, Deadlines, and Application Procedure
- One private composition lesson with Alyssa Weinberg
- 2 Masterclasses with distinguished guest composers
- Daily workshops, seminars, and discussions on contemporary music and topics on professional development
- Housing with a local host family or double occupancy hotel room
- Daily lunch
- All-access festival pass to nightly performances and events
- Professional audio recording of your world premiere performance
- Fun events like our opening celebration and after party!
How to apply:
Applications open November 1st. The final deadline will be January 1st, 2024 at 11:59pm.
Click the following link to apply via Acceptd: <<APPLY NOW>>
The application will ask for the following:
- CV or Resume
- Personal Statement: Please discuss your artistic interests and goals, what you hope to gain by attending this program, and anything else you’d like us to consider. We review these very carefully, and the statement matters just as much as your portfolio – This is your chance to show us who you are! Personal
- Statement format can be submitted as a short (ca. 2 minute) video introduction OR as a written statement (1-2 paragraphs).
- Portfolio: scores and recordings of 2-3 recent compositions
- Letter of Recommendation (optional)
- Application for Financial Support (optional)
- Application fee of $25
- If the application fee presents a financial barrier to applying, contact [email protected] to request a fee waiver
- Applications that do not strictly follow these procedures will not be reviewed.
- Application fee must be paid at the time of submission
- A non-refundable enrollment fee of $500 is due immediately to reserve your space and applies toward the cost of tuition. The remaining tuition balance is due by June 1st.
- The festival will collect a damage deposit of $500 (fully refundable) to cover damages/ incidentals at your place of lodging. This is due when you arrive in Lake George.
- Questions about repertoire or other submission related details please contact us at [email protected]