Named for the late composer Robert DeGaetano, the DeGaetano Composition Institute supports the development of emerging composers and new works for chamber orchestra.
DECEMBER 1, 2023
The 2023-2024 DeGaetano Composition Institute will provide a six-month program for emerging composers to develop a new work for chamber orchestra under the guidance of Composer Mentor Augusta Read Thomas.
The Institute culminates in July 2024 with a week-long New York City residency packed with opportunities to network and learn from industry professionals while working closely with conductor Brad Lubman and Orchestra of St. Luke’s. The Institute closes with a concert of the composers’ new works performed by Orchestra of St. Luke’s at The DiMenna Center for Classical Music’s Cary Hall.
DeGaetano Composition Institute 2024 Schedule
DECEMBER 1, 2023
JANUARY 6, 2024
Selected participants notified
JANUARY 15, 2024
Public announcement of participants
JANUARY – JUNE 2024
Participants write, collaborate, and workshop their pieces with Composer Mentor Augusta Read Thomas
JUNE 15, 2024
Submission deadline for completed works
JULY 18 – JULY 23, 2024
New York Residency
JULY 23, 2024
World premiere performance by Orchestra of St. Luke’s!
As part of the New York residency, participants will receive:
- Rehearsals with the celebrated musicians of Orchestra of St. Luke’s
- Professional development sessions with the staff and musicians of Orchestra of St. Luke’s
- Networking and professional advice from industry professionals
- Headshots and media assets for the composer’s promotional use
- Domestic travel and housing provided during New York City residency
- World Premiere public performance of a new work for chamber orchestra
Institute Information for Applicants
Please review the following information before you apply.
KEY APPLICATION DATES
Application Deadline: December 1, 2023
Participants Notified no later than January 1, 2024
Public Announcement of Participants on January 15, 2024
INSTITUTE DETAILS AND REQUIREMENTS
Participants will write an original, new work for chamber orchestra.
Duration: 7-12 minutes
Submission Deadline for completed works: June 15, 2024
New York Residency: July 18-23, 2024
World Premiere Performance: July 23, 2024
Orchestra of St. Luke’s and the DeGaetano Composition Institute are committed to proactively cultivating a diverse and inclusive group of applicants, and providing equality of opportunity to all prospective participants. These values guide our organization, including the selection process for the DeGaetano Composition Institute, which will employ blind and anonymous review of materials.
- Applicants must not have been a participant in a prior DeGaetano Composition Institue
- Applicants must be 18 years old as of December 1, 2023.
- Applicants must show proof of legal eligibility to work in the United States. Please visit https://www.uscis.gov/i-9 for a list of acceptable documents necessary to fill out the government I-9 form.
- Applicants must be US-based at the time of New York Residency.
- Applicants must be available to attend the full New York Residency July 18-23, 2024.Note: Participants will have housing and travel provided for New York Residency.
- A completed application form.
- Two Sample works composed within the past 5 years:
- One work for Chamber Ensemble (Labeled Work Sample #1)
- One work for Orchestra (Labeled Work Sample #2)Scores must be submitted in .PDF format, and must be accompanied by a sound file. (either an electronic file in midi, mp3, or web-based link to YouTube or SoundCloud notated on the application form.)
- CV or Resume
NOTE: A letter of recommendation is optional. Recommendation can be from an individual familiar with the applicant who can speak to the applicant’s compositional work and capacity (this could be a teacher, colleague, musician, presenter, or others)
Please ensure your link sharing for your portfolio is ON, and OSL is able to access your application materials via a URL link.
Direct any questions or concerns to [email protected]