Call for Scores!
Introduction The Symphonic Society of Limeira (SSL) announces a call for scores for the VII Encontro Internacional de Cordas (International String Festival) and the 2021 Limeira Symphony Orchestra Concert Series.
Applications are now open. The deadline for applying is May 15, 2020.
Founded in 2013 and now in its seventh edition, the Encontro Internacional de Cordas is a week-long chamber music festival which takes place in Brazil. Each year, professional string players, students, and educators from all over the world gather in the city of Limeira to study and perform chamber music. The dates for the VII Encontro Internacional de Cordas are June 21-27. Now in its twenty-fourth season, the Limeira Symphony Orchestra is one of the leading symphonic groups in São Paulo state. The Limeira Symphony Orchestra performs over thirty concerts a year featuring renowned soloists and world premieres of works by contemporary composers in an eclectic concert series ranging from baroque to popular music.
We invite composers to submit pieces in two categories:
Category I: Chamber Works for Strings
- Works composed for string instruments such as violin, viola, cello, double-bass, guitar, and harp. Works may be written for any combination including solos, duos, trios, quartets, quintets, sextets, septets, octets, nonets, up to a string chamber orchestra (30 players). Works written for string chamber orchestra may feature one or more string soloists.
- To be performed in the VII Encontro Internacional de Cordas (June 21-27, 2020)
Category II: Symphonic Works
- Works composed for a Symphony Orchestra in the suggested instrumentation: strings, harp, woodwinds (2 flutes, plus piccolo, 2 clarinets, 2 oboes, plus English horn, 2 bassoons), brass (2 trumpets, 4 horns, 3 trombones), percussion (glock, tamtam, snare drum, cymbals, tenor and bass drums), timpani 3. – Works written for Symphony Orchestra may feature one or more string soloists.
- To be performed in the 2021 Limeira Symphony Orchestra concert season.
A note regarding instrumentation: If your composition exceeds the suggested instrumentation listed above, please contact the artistic director of the Encontro Internacional de Cordas. In most cases, we can accept and accommodate works with larger instrumentation.
The Call for Scores for the VII Encontro Internacional de Cordas and the Limeira Symphony Orchestra Concert Series is open to all applicants regardless of race, color, national origin, religion, creed, age, sex, sexual orientation, marital status, disability, veteran status, or career stage. We encourage composers whose gender identity, race and ethnicity are underrepresented in professional orchestral programming to apply.
Pieces submitted for consideration in previous editions of the Encontro Internacional de Cordas or the Limeira Symphony Orchestra Concert Series that were not selected for programming are eligible for re-entry with the submission of a new application and payment of submission fees.
Works previously performed, premiered, or recorded in Brazil or abroad are eligible for submission.
There is no restriction regarding the length of work or the year of composition.
There is a fee for each work submitted for consideration. There is no set limit to the number of pieces a composer may submit for consideration. Composers may submit as many works as desired in both categories.
Category I: Chamber Works for Strings: $12 (twelve dollars)
Category II: Symphonic Works: $15 (fifteen dollars)
Submission fees are preferably payable via Venmo. We also accept credit card payments via PayPal through our website. Submission fees are non-refundable.
Payment Instructions For VENMO
- Download the VENMO app https://venmo.com/
- Create a VENMO account
- Search for username: @sslscores or click on this link www.venmo.com/sslscores
- PayPal payments are accessible through our homepage.
- After choosing which category you wish to add to your cart (Category I: Chamber Works for Strings or Category II: Symphonic Works) you will be directed to a secure website.
- You can add or subtract the number of submission fees you wish to pay directly in your shopping cart.
- If you wish to simultaneously pay for more than one category, you can do it so by adding both categories to your shopping cart. First, add one category to your shopping cart. Click add to cart. You will be redirected to a secured website. Click on CONTINUE SHOPPING. This action will redirect you to our home page. Choose the other category and click add to cart. You will be redirected to the same secure website. Now your shopping cart should contain both categories. Add or subtract the number of submission fees you wish to pay for each category directly in your shopping cart.
- Follow the checkout procedure.
- All applicants must first pay the corresponding submission fee via PayPal or Venmo for each work sent for consideration. Please note that the name of the composer in the application materials must match exactly the name used to pay for the submission fee via Venmo or PayPal.
- After paying the submission fee, applicants must submit their scores in PDF format to email@example.com (No audio files will be accepted at this time.)
- The body of the email must contain the name of the composer, name of the composition and the PDF file. Composers submitting multiple works for consideration may attach multiple PDFs in the same email.
- The reviewing committee may request additional materials from the applicants, such as resume, cover letter, headshots, audio, and video recordings.
- Large files may be submitted via Dropbox or Google Drive.
All scores will be analyzed by a reviewing committee formed by the Artistic Director of the Encontro Internacional de Cordas, Rafael Torralvo, the Artistic Director and chief conductor of the Limeira Symphony Orchestra, Rodrigo Muller and the string faculty in residence at the VII Encontro Internacional de Cordas.
The reviewing committee may select more than one work by the same composer.
Composers whose works were accepted for performance will be notified by May 30, 2020. Nonetheless, it is the composer’s responsibility to check the list containing the works accepted for performance on our website.
- All works will be performed in Brazil during the 2020/2021 concert season.
- All compositions accepted under Category I: Chamber Works for Strings will be performed by the string faculty and by the students in residence of the VII Encontro Internacional de Cordas throughout the duration of the festival. (June 21-27)
- Compositions accepted under Category II: Symphonic Works will be performed by the Limeira Symphony Orchestra as part of their Concert Series in June 2021.
Although not mandatory, we encourage composers to attend concerts featuring their works whenever possible. The Limeira Symphonic Society provides discounted lodging through our partner hotels, as well as free ground transportation from São Paulo International Airport (GRU) and Campinas Viracopos International Airport (VCP) to all featured composers.
Composers also benefit from working closely with the faculty in residence at the Encontro Internacional de Cordas and the Limeira Symphony Orchestra during the rehearsals leading to the performance of their works.
Traveling to Brazil: Please be aware that, based on your country of citizenship, a visa might be required to enter Brazil. The Limeira Symphonic Society will aid visiting composers and travel companions with the application process for a Visa when necessary. You can consult the Brazilian General Consulate for more information regarding visa requirements by clicking this link.
For other questions, please contact the artistic director of the Encontro Internacional de Cordas through the following email address:
Rafael Torralvo: firstname.lastname@example.org