The 46th Annual Festival of New American Music Call for Scores
The Festival of New American Music brings extraordinary musicians to Sacramento, California, each year to present high-quality performances of a broad body of recently composed or improvised music by some of America’s most exciting artists. This year marks the 46th annual Festival – co-directors Dr. Shuying Li and Timothy Stanley are excited to announce the Inaugural Festival of New American Music Call for Scores. This first annual Call for Scores is open to composers of any age. Applicants must reside in the United States, Mexico or Canada. International students on student visas and studying at Colleges and Universities in the US may also apply. The competition is judged by composition faculty and ensemble directors at the California State University, Sacramento School of Music as well as by nationally and internationally recognized festival guest composers. The winning pieces in each category will receive a performance at the 2023 Festival of New American Music.
To enter, or to learn more about the competition, visit the link below for the complete Rules and Guidelines.
Open to composers of any age. Applicants must reside in the United States, Mexico or Canada. International students on student visas and studying at Colleges and Universities in the US may also apply.
- Category A (Chamber Ensemble): Submitted works may be scored for any combination of up to eight performers including flute (doubles piccolo), clarinet (doubles bass clarinet), violin, cello, piano, percussion, and voice. Two works will be selected and performed by resident ensembles, Citywater and Four Corners Ensemble.
- Category B (Wind Ensemble): Submitted works should be scored for standard wind band instrumentation. One winning work will be performed by Sacramento State Symphonic Wind Ensemble with director Matthew Morse.
- Category C (Chorus): Submitted works must be scored for mixed choir in 4-6 parts, with moderate divisi, with optional keyboard accompaniment. One winning work will be performed by Sacramento State University Chorale with director Andrew Kreckmann.
Compositions may not exceed 10 minutes in length.
Submitted works may be previously performed.
Materials for Submission:
Applications will only be accepted via this link. The Application Form will allow up to three works submission (one work for each category).
Composers must include the following materials:
- Full score (PDF format only, do not include parts)
- Audio recording of the piece (MP3 preferable, though MIDI rendering is acceptable)
- Program notes
Fee: No entry fee.
A panel of judges will choose four winning compositions from three categories. All winning compositions will be performed at the 2023 Festival of New American Music (October 29-November 3, 2023), at Sacramento State School of Music. It is strongly preferred that the composers be presented at the Festival. However, the committee at this time cannot provide financial support towards airfare and accommodation for travel arrangements.
Submissions must be time-stamped by 11:59pm PST on July 15, 2023. Winners will be announced by August 20, 2023. All parts are due by August 31, 2023.
Please direct all inquiries to [email protected].