Fresh Squeezed Opera – Call for Operas
Fresh Squeezed Opera is pleased to announce a Call for Chamber Operas to be performed, fully staged, in summer 2024.
We do not require a fee to submit, but we kindly ask each composer to consider making a donation of $10. (Donations will not affect final decisions).
The selected composer will receive an honorarium of $500.
RULES and GUIDELINES
Open to composers of any nationality and age.
Pieces must have been written within the last 5 years
Works must be a minimum of 45 minutes, and a maximum of 120 minutes
Instruments and voice types available include: piano/keyboard, violins, viola, cello, bass, flute/piccolo, oboe, clarinet/bass clarinet, bassoon, horn, percussion (no available timpani or marimba), electronics;
soprano, mezzo-soprano, tenor, baritone.
Please note, works do not have to include all of these, but we cannot accommodate works with instrumentation outside of those listed.
Please note, you can use doublings/multiples of voices/instruments of the types listed, eg. 2 flutes, or 2 sopranos.
Each composer may send up to 2 different works
Works-in-progress are acceptable (and encouraged!)
Please send submissions via this form only.
1. Score (vocal and full if available),
2. Recording of at least 10 minutes of the piece (MIDIs are acceptable),
3. Brief (200-300 words) bios of composer and librettist
4. Brief (200-300 words) summary of plot and major themes of opera
5. Scene by scene breakdown of opera
6. Performance history of opera
7. Detailed list of voices and instrumentation
DEADLINE: July 29, 2022. Results will be announced on or before September 1, 2022.
Please email [email protected] with any questions.