impuls Academy is calling on young composers around the world to submit entries for its Composition Competition.
The academy seeks to promote and support young composers through recordings, broadcasting and concerts.
impuls commissions new works for ensemble every two years, which are selected by a jury. Subsequently, young composers are invited to take part in the impuls Composition Workshop in Vienna and Graz, where their new works are collectively rehearsed and discussed extensively with musicians of world-class ensembles such as Klangforum Wien. The works are also premiered at the impuls Festival in Graz.
- A jury consisting of composers, musicians and experts will nominate four composers. The jury’s decision will be published in spring 2021 on the impuls website and applicants will be notified.
- As part of the impuls Composition Competition, impuls will then commission new works for ensemble (about 12 musicians chosen from a pool as given in the application).
- The impuls Composition Competition is an international competition.
- Applying composers must not be born before 1986.
- Applications open on 15 May 2020 and end on 15 October 2020.
- Submit a concept for a new piece for ensemble, to be written on selection. Please make sure that the concept is created for +-12 musicians chosen from the following pool of musicians: 1 flute, 1 oboe, 2 clarinet, 1 bassoon, 1 saxophone, 1 horn, 1 trumpet, 1 trombone, 1 accordion, 1 harp, 1 piano, 2 percussion, 2 violin, 1 viola, 1 cello, 1 double bass. The setting is supposed to be a “normal” concert setting for purely acoustic pieces (thus any technical features, be it amplification, playback, live-electronics etc., special lighting, visual or scenic effects, or any form of specific set-ups can NOT be realized).
- Expected length: Approximately 15 minutes. Scores of new compositions are due in June 2022. Parts of a composition are due on 1 October 2022 after feedback by the ensemble. Selected composers are also invited to take part in the impuls Composition Workshop, which includes extensive rehearsals and accompanying activities (such as composers’ talks and discussions), and to attend the premiere of their works with a first-class ensemble at impuls Festival 2023.
- All entries must be made at the expense of the composer (impuls will not cover any costs standing in connection with the application such as postage, payment of duties or taxes etc.). Due to the number of applications expected, the submitted material will not be returned.
impuls will offer the following to selected composers:
- Travel expenses (within Europe: economy flight or second-class rail ticket, whichever is cheaper; from overseas: a contribution up to a maximum of €600 ($650).
- Living expenses: hotel (if needed) plus per diem of €26 (throughout the duration of the workshop and the day of the first performance and accompanying activities).
- At delivery of the score and the complete musical material – by the deadlines given – the composers will receive a one-time payment of €2 700. With this payment all rights concerning the public performance within impuls 2023, possible live-recording and broadcasting. as well as the publishing of a CD. are compensated.
View the original call here(link is external).