Call for Scores!
Introducing the inaugural International Brass Band Composer Contest (IBBCC)!
With virtually no bands currently in operation due to the coronavirus pandemic, this has left composers with little opportunity to have their music performed. However, we are now offering you the chance to have your music showcased through this new and innovative Composition Competition. The overall winner will receive £100 ($120) in cash (sponsored by Besson), a download license to the music playback program NotePerformer*, which tremendously enhances the sound of your scores, and publication of your work through a new company which is being launched by Andrew Wainwright, BrookWright Music, whilst also receiving any associated royalties.
The five finalists will also have ‘follow-the-score’ videos of their pieces produced using NotePerformer and shared on youtube and across various social media platforms. In addition, a ‘Public Commendation Prize’ will be awarded to the finalist with the most ‘likes’ on youtube, while receiving a £100 gift voucher towards a Geneva instrument.
- Composers/arrangers are invited to submit a brass band composition/arrangement or multiple compositions/arrangements of no more than 5 minutes’ duration each.
- Please note if your piece is an arrangement, only arrangements of public domain material will be accepted.
- Our panel of esteemed judges, James Curnow, Dr Liz Lane and Paul Hindmarsh, will agree a shortlist of five finalists from all the submissions before deciding the overall winner. In addition, a ‘Public Commendation Prize’ will be awarded to the finalist with the most ‘likes’ received on youtube by noon UK time on Monday 14th September 2020.
- Instrumentation should be standard brass band and percussion. This should include: Eb Soprano Cornet, Bb Cornets, Flugel Horn, Eb Tenor (Alto) Horns, Bb Baritones, Bb Trombones, Bass Trombone, Bb Euphonium, Eb Bass, Bb Bass and Percussion.
- There are no restrictions on the style of the music.
- Submissions should not already be published, but they do not necessarily need to be newly composed or arranged works.
The closing date for entries is Friday, August 28, 2020. On or before this date candidates should submit the following:
- The entry form (found here)
- A Sibelius or xml file of the piece to be uploaded to https://www.dropbox.com/request/V6dbuaf2ynKYg2gzyyPK
- A PDF of the score
- The entry fee of £10.00 (about $12) which is payable at https://www.awainwrightmusic.com/apps/webstore/products/show/8145453
- Please note entry fee is applicable for each item you submit, so for example if you submit 2 pieces the fee would be £20.00, or £30.00 for 3 pieces and so on.
The winner(s) will be announced on Monday 14th September 2020.
We look forward with anticipation to receiving your submissions!
*NotePerformer is currently compatible with Finale, Sibelius and Dorico. For more information about the product please visit https://www.noteperformer.com For a sample of the sound quality, please visit www.youtube.com/watch?v=9WpbSLjGJQ4