Composition Contest and Residency for Acoustic Instrument and Sampo
Saint-Etienne 6 – 10 July 2022
Musinfo is pleased to announce the ninth edition of the Composition Contest and Residency for Acoustic Instrument and Sampo. With this initiative Musinfo supports the work of contemporary composers in the field of live-electronic. The residency will take place during the 2022 Art & Sampo Days in Saint-Etienne.
The winning composers will receive a commission from Musinfo to compose a new work for an acoustic instrument and Sampo. The Sampo is an electronic device made for any musician or composer to expand the sound field of an acoustic instrument. For more details, see http://www.sampo.fr.
The writing of the new composition will include two phases:
• First, the winners will work with the P-Soft software which emulates Sampo. The software is available through the form at the bottom of this page. They will exchange with the performers of the residency, who will prepare the works on their Sampos.
• The winners will then be invited to carry out a residency with the performers in Saint-Etienne, France for one week to finalize their compositions and prepare the recordings which will take place at the end of the residency together with the performers. Sampos will be made available to composers during the residency. The residency will also be an opportunity for the selected composers to network with the other composers and performers of the residency, to interact with the public and with the trainees of the Sampo Academy which will take place at the same time as the residency, as well as attend the festival’s various concerts and events. They will also be invited to share their experience during the Sampo Academy.
Rules of participation:
II. The competition is open to composers of all ages and backgrounds.
III. Winners of previous editions of the Contest cannot apply.
IV. The applications are made anonymous before given to the jury.
V. An international jury will nominate the winners of the contest during February 2022. The jury may decide not to nominate any winners.
VI. The attendance of the laureates during the residency is required. The residency will take place from 6 to 10 July 2022 inclusive.
VII. The choice of instrument for the commissioned work will be made by Musinfo according to the selected performers.
VIII. Applications must contain the following elements:
1 – Short biography (1500 characters maximum)
2 – Photo (for publication at the announcement of the winners)
3 – Letter of motivation
4 – Short sketch to demonstrate the composer’s understanding of the work with P-Soft and Sampo.
The sketch of one to two pages maximum and in PDF format, shall be composed for P-Soft and a solo acoustic instrument. No other software or audio files may be used.
The sketch must be accompanied by the “bank” file containing the configuration.
The P-Soft software emulating Sampo is available for download below.
The writing examples for Sampo and help can be found at: Software and Manual
5 – 1 to 2 scores of recent compositions.
Any works containing electronics shall be accompanied by a recording of the work. For acoustic works, a recording is recommended.
The winners are selected based on the sketch, the letter of motivation and the sent scores.
- Registration is free of charge.
- Musinfo will support meals and accommodation.
- Travel costs will be borne by the winners.
- The winners will receive a commission to write a new composition.
- The winners will carry out a residency from 6 to 10 July 2022 in Saint-Etienne, France, during the Art & Sampo Days.
- The new composition will be recorded at the end of the residency, then published as an online concert on 25 July 2022.