Call for Scores!
Musiqa’s Emerging Composer Commission program identifies promising artistic talent and provides performance opportunities with an innovative, contemporary music chamber ensemble. In keeping with Musiqa’s commitment to increasing diversity throughout the greater new music community, the 2020 Commission will be open only to emerging composers who self-identify as artists of color.
The selected composer will receive:
- A commission for a 4-7 minute work to be premiered at a Musiqa performance during the 2021-22 season.
- $1,000 stipend.
- $200 travel stipend.
- A professional audio recording of the commission.
The composer will be expected to:
- Attend rehearsal(s) and the world premiere performance.
- Speak at a pre-concert discussion.
- Develop documentation of your creative process in collaboration with Musiqa staff in order to promote the work and engage with new audiences.
- Engage in a virtual or in-person composition seminar with young composition students in Houston.
- Participate as a first round judge in the following year’s competition.
- Grant Musiqa limited rights to promote the resulting composition, including but not limited to possible reproduction on CDs, in our online library and elsewhere.
The ideal composer is/has:
- Self-motivated with a strong interest in contemporary music.
- A Bachelor’s or Master’s degree in music, preferably in music composition, completed within the past five years.
- Authorization to work in the United States.
Musiqa is committed to diversity, equity, and inclusion in every facet of its operations including its curatorial practices. In keeping with Musiqa’s commitment to increasing diversity throughout the greater new music community, the 2020 Commission will be open only to emerging composers who self-identify as artists of color. The initial judging round of scores and music will be done blind. Judges will not have access to composer applications or resumes during the submission review process.
The following submissions are required to be considered for the Emerging Composer Commission.
- Two (2) anonymized scores or excerpts (PDF format only) with accompanying recordings (MP3 format only). MP3s should each be under 5 minutes in length, with the page and/or measure numbers for recorded excerpts identified in the file title. PDF and MP3 file titles must contain only the work’s title and page or measure numbers: files with titles containing the composer’s name will not be considered.
- Resume or CV (PDF format only).
- Completed application form and checklist.
Applications and submissions must be received by August 14, 2020. Submissions should be sent only to the email address provided on the application form. Application forms will be available on August 1, 2020. Incomplete or late submissions will not be considered. Selection of the commissions will be announced no later than October 1, 2020. Musiqa will not retain any submission materials after the commissions have been awarded. All submission materials will be destroyed and erased from our servers. Due to administrative limitations, Musiqa is not able to provide feedback on submissions.