NDSU Edwin Fissinger Choral Composition Prizes
NDSU Challey School of Music honors the legacy and traditions of noted choral composer and long-time NDSU choral conductor Edwin Fissinger with its annual choral composition competition.
Entries should be:
- for mixed choir (SATB), divisi is acceptable
- unaccompanied, or with keyboard accompaniment, obbligato instruments ok
- three to eight minutes in duration
- original and unpublished (by an established commercial firm) works only.
- The text may be sacred or secular, either in the public domain or copyrighted, as long as a letter of permission from the copyright owner is included with the submission
- suitable for an accomplished high school or university choir
Prizes / Performance
- First: $1,500
- Second: $1,000
- NDSU reserves the right to not award prizes in any given year.
- The composer of the first prize work is invited to be present at the NDSU Concert Choir performance.
- For the performance, NDSU will reimburse actual travel, lodging and food expenses, up to a maximum of $1,000.
- Winners will be announced on https://www.ndsu.edu/performingarts/music/ by November 1, 2022.
- The first prize winner’s piece, with the approval of the composer, will have their composition considered for publication in Pavane Publishing for placement in the Jo Ann Miller Choral Series.
- Jo Ann Miller, Director of Choral Activities, NDSU
- Michael Weber, Associate Director of Choral Activities, NDSU
- Charlette Moe, Assistant Director of Choral Activities and Music Education, NDSU
- Jocelyn Hagen, Composer, Adjunct composition faculty, NDSU
Allan Petker, Pavane Publishing
- There is a $25 submission fee for each work submitted.
- Include name, address, phone number(s), and email address when making payment via NDSU Store Front or if paying by check, in a sealed envelope accompanying the score.
- Submitted scores must be in Finale or Sibelius.
- An audio file is strongly recommended.
- All scores selected for performance will be reproduced by NDSU.
- Submissions must be submitted via email by 11:59 PM on September 1, 2022.
- Email PDF submissions and audio files to: [email protected]
- If not submitting a PDF, mail submissions to:
Jo Ann Miller, NDSU Challey School of Music, Dept 2334, PO Box 6050, Fargo, ND 58108-6050 with a postmark of September 1, 2022.