Call for Scores!
ABOUT THE CONTEST
ChoralArt honors the carol tradition with a New England Carol Contest. During the holiday season ChoralArt will premiere, at our An Epiphany Concert, a brand new carol written by a composer with a New England connection.
Composers must reside in, have been born in, or currently study in residence at a college, university, or conservatory in one of the six new England states (Connecticut, Maine, Massachusetts, New Hampshire, Rhode Island, Vermont). One winner will receive a $750 cash prize, with up to $250 travel expense to attend the premiere performance.
2020 Contest Guidelines
- Premiere: no prior public performance of submitted composition
- Voicing: a cappella or keyboard accompaniment, SATB setting with divisi up to SSATB
- Duration: about 3 minutes
- Difficulty: like carols represented, for example, in 100 Carols for Choirs (Willcocks, Rutter; eds.)
- Text: new settings in English – traditional texts, published poems, or original texts
It is the composer’s responsibility to secure copyright permission for any text not in the public domain.
Applicant requirement: native-born or current resident of one of the six New England states (Connecticut, Maine, Massachusetts, New Hampshire, Rhode Island, Vermont) or composer currently studying in residence at a New England college, university, or conservatory.
- e-mail to email@example.com the following required components:
- signed and completed application form
- pdf of carol submitted using carol title as name; no composer name attached
- mp3 audio file of carol using carol title as name; no composer name attached
- not required: pdf of piano reduction of vocal parts, if possible, using carol title as name; no composer name attached
- e-mail received before 6:00 p.m. EDT on August 15, 2020
- Winner Announcement: winning composer to be notified via e-mail on September 15, 2020
Note: The composer retains all rights of publication and future performances. ChoralArt reserves the right for unlimited future performances at no additional expense.
Please contact firstname.lastname@example.org with any questions. Good luck!