New Music Gathering 2023, hosted by Portland State University, will be in Portland, Oregon June 22-24, 2023
Our theme this year is “Purpose” – by naming this theme we invite our applicants to raise questions, offer suggestions, and share experiences that help us name, refine, or reimagine our creative purpose as individuals and as community together!
NMG appreciates your applications, especially in a time when so much is harder than it should be and making or even having plans is a bit weird! As an incentive / thank-you for taking the time to share your ideas with us we’ll be choosing 40 applicants COMPLETELY AT RANDOM to receive $100. It isn’t huge but it will hopefully make itself useful in your musical and extramusical life.
The NMG2023 proposals review panel (Coco Elysses, Lainie Fefferman, Kamala Sankaram, Dameun Strange, and Darian Donovan Thomas) will, in addition to accepting proposals as-is, often choose to place folks on panels that we assemble based on your submissions and our finding a common interest among you. We also often assemble concert programs from the different performance submissions we receive. There is no need to propose an entirely assembled program or panel discussion – space is limited and we try to bring as many voices to each concert/discussion/activity as possible. That said, if you have a longer or a more complete proposal in mind, by all means let us know! However, if possible, we strongly encourage you to offer the performance of a single piece of music that excites you or suggest a shorter activity/concept!
Applicants must be ages 18+ and can be located anywhere.
New Music Gathering is committed to broad inclusion and celebrates a diversity of perspective and practice; we aim to represent, by means of our curatorial vision, with accuracy and respect, the people that form the community we strive to serve. Please strongly consider this in your proposal.
We’re afraid there is very limited funding for participant fees / travel / lodging / production. If your participation in NMG2023 would create financial hardships that would prohibit your attendance, please email a short description of your situation to [email protected] and we’ll work with you as best we can! We aren’t soliciting online or hybrid proposals for NMG2023, but we are planning to livestream events for virtual attendance.
***All selected participants will be given free all-Gathering passes and lots of love and coffee, real or virtual!***
Soundcheck time / tech setup time for in-person performances will be EXTREMELY LIMITED (we want to get as many people involved in the gathering as possible!) so please take this tight timing into account when you think about your proposals!
You must be free all three days of June 22, 23, and 24, 2023!
If you have any questions / concerns / outlandish comments, contact us at: [email protected]
*** PLEASE don’t use the personal emails of the organizers or review panelists! It just gets so confusing! ***
- What is your name?
- What are your pronouns?
- If you’re submitting an idea for your ensemble / organization, what is its name?
- By what title would you want your proposal to appear in an *ABBREVIATED* NMG schedule?
- What is your email address?
- Do you / does your organization / ensemble / acrobatic troupe have a website?
- Please describe ideas that interest you surrounding this year’s theme of “Purpose”. Please also describe any particular perspective or expertise you bring in discussing your ideas.
- Where are you based?
- How will you or your project contribute to furthering the diversity of the New Music Gathering community?
- Tell us the kind of event you’re proposing
- Please give a SHORT (120 characters max) description of your proposed event or performance
- How many folks (including you) are involved in your particular presentation?
- Estimate a range of how long your event/performance could be
- Ok, give us your pitch! What are you going to share with us? (Character limit: 1000)
- Work samples? (if applicable)
- Give us a rough idea: what kind of technological support would you need to make your event’s dreams happen in the physical world?
- What is your favorite on-the-go breakfast food?
- NMG hopes to have an understanding of who applies year to year, and so we invite you to offer any demographic information you’d feel comfortable sharing with any identifiers that feel right to you. Information will be available to our review panel and is completely voluntary.
- How do you see yourself relating to the content of your proposal? Does your work engage with cultural traditions, references, or ideas? If so, tell us why, and how they’re important to you.
- How did you first hear about NMG?