Quadre announces its 2021 composition contest. With two composers in the ensemble, Quadre has a keen interest in supporting the work of composers and expanding the repertoire for horn quartet.
2021 Quadre International Composition Contest
Submissions are due June 1, 2021. Winners will be announced by August 15, 2021.
As part of Quadre’s mission, the ensemble announces a composition contest to stimulate interest in writing for the horn and provide an avenue for horn works to be performed. Two awards will be given. First Prize $1,000 and Second Prize $500. Competition flyer can be downloaded here.
- Works should be written for horn quartet. No electronica this year. The work can be a single or multi-movement piece and should be based upon the theme of Quadre’s 2021–2022 season: Nature: Calling for Harmony. The winning submission will be programmed to open their concerts.
- All composers are eligible. There is no fee.
- Please submit the following:
- Only one piece that is 5 minutes or less. Include a PDF of your transposed score and a single PDF of your performance parts. Parts and scores should be fully edited and easily readable. Manuscript size will not exceed 8.5″ x 14″.
- A recording as an MP3. Live or MIDI/electronic recordings are fine. WAV files will not be accepted.
- The work’s previous performance history if any.
- A short biography that is 200 words or less. As an international contest, please also include where you are from. The biography and composer’s origin will not be disclosed during the judging process.
- Works may have been performed before, but no published or commissioned pieces are eligible.
- Your name must not appear anywhere on the music or the recording.
- All judging will be anonymous. Judges will not have knowledge of the identity of the composer.
- The judges reserve the right to withhold prizes if in their judgment no deserving works are submitted. The decision of the contest jury will be final.
- Past winners are not eligible for the competition the subsequent year after they won.
- All performance, copyright, and royalty rights of all the works submitted remain with the composers.
- Please send any questions to email@example.com.
In addition to the prize money, winning works will be performed in public during the 2021–2022 Quadre season. Winning composers will receive a program and a live recording from the concert. Winners will be invited to attend the concert(s) for free, but no additional expenses such as travel will be reimbursed. Winning composers may also be approached for publication of their work by Solid Wood Publishing.