San Columbano International Competition
The SAN COLOMBANO International Competition takes place in Piacenza and is open to opera singers and composers of all nationalities.
The competition is dedicated to St. Colombano, an Irish missionary monk, known for having founded numerous monasteries and churches throughout Europe by abbot.
The competition is open to composers of all nationalities aged 18 and over.
Prize: Euro 300.00
For the best composition of an original contemporary aria on a sacred text. Performance of the composition in a concert during the San Colombano 2022 music festival.
The amount of the prize is intended gross of withholding taxes.
The prizes will be paid by bank transfer within 60 days of the competition final and any transaction costs requested by the competitor’s bank will be borne by the competitor.
Characteristics of the Composition
The composition, which must clearly show the author’s name and surname, must be attached to the entry form in PDF format. The name of the file must coincide with the title of the composition. Each candidate may submit only one composition.
- Sacred text of the candidate’s choice. The text may be in any language; in the case of a text other than Latin, Italian, French, English or German, an English translation must be attached.
- Maximum length 7 minutes.
- Any stylistic form is allowed. In the case of works with unpublished graphic characters or symbols, the authors must provide explanatory tables for a correct understanding of the signs. The score must be clearly legible, under penalty of exclusion from the competition.
- The composition must be unpublished.
- The composition must be written for voice and piano or organ.
- Any vocal register is allowed (bass, baritone, tenor, contralto, mezzo-soprano, soprano, countertenor).
The application form, drawn up in the appropriate form and duly signed, must be sent by e-mail no later than 10 September 2021 to the following e-mail address: firstname.lastname@example.org
The application form must contain the following documents:
- Application form completed in all its parts and signed
- artistic curriculum (preferably in Italian)
- photocopy of identity document or passport
- a recent photograph
- indication of the title of the composition
- copy of the score of the composition in PDF format
- a copy of the payment of the registration fee of Euro 25,00 to be paid by bank transfer to the current account in the name of:
DeA DONNE E ARTE PIACENZA – APS
BANCA DI PIACENZA, via Mazzini 20, Piacenza
IBAN: IT43H0515612600CC0000039522 – SWIFT/BIC: BCPCIT2P
Indicate in the reason for payment “Iscrizione sezione compositori 2021” followed by the first and last name of the candidate.
If you wish to pay by Paypal, the payment must be of euro 27,00 and can be made at the section SUBSCRIBE of the website www.concorsosancolombano.it.
For any information, please contact the competition secretariat: +39 333 6023199 – email@example.com
Audio and Video Filming
The Association DeA Donne e Arte Piacenza – APS reserves the right to film and record, without time limit, all stages of the Competition and subsequent concerts without owing anything to the participants who, by signing the application form, expressly accept to transfer any right of use of said recordings to the Association DeA Donne e Arte Piacenza – APS free of charge. By signing the application form, the composer gives his/her consent and free of charge to the public performance, to the possible audio and video recording of the composition, to its transmission, to the archiving of the material created and to its use for a possible record publication; in any case without asking for any compensation.
Cancellation of the Competition
If, for reasons of force majeure, the competition is cancelled, the entry fees will be refunded by bank transfer. Bank charges will be borne by the recipient.
Validity of the Text
The regulations of the International St Columba Competition are published in two languages (Italian and English).
Only the Italian text has official and legal validity.
The parties will submit all disputes arising from this competition or connected with it – including those relating to its interpretation, validity, effectiveness, execution and resolution – to mediation in accordance with the provisions of the Civil and Commercial Mediation Rules of the “Resolutia” organisation based in Piacenza.
The parties undertake to resort to mediation before starting any arbitration or judicial proceedings for which the Court of Piacenza is agreed.
In the event of disputes and for any controversy the Court of Piacenza shall have jurisdiction.