Carlos Guastavino Composition Competition
Submission deadline: June 30, 2021
The purpose of the competition is to encourage the creation of musical works inspired by folk or national traditions, while upholding the high standards of musical composition sustained by Guastavino.
Accepting works for Solo Piano or Duo Ensemble with Piano (voice and piano, or piano and another instrument)
Finalists works performed at the 2021 SONUS Festival in October
Winner’s Featured Performance During the 2021-2022 Concert Season at the Latin American Music Center for Graduate Studies at Catholic University of America
- Compositions must be connected to or inspired by folk themes or traditions from any culture.
- Composers may submit only one composition per category. If submitting in two categories, a second application fee will be required.
- Works cannot have been recorded or performed publicly before October 24, 2021.
- The above does not apply to performances in educational settings.
- Only compositions for unaltered/unprepared piano and classical acoustic instruments will be accepted.
Compositions in the following categories will be accepted:
- Piano Solo
- Duo Ensemble with Piano: o Compositions for voice and piano.
- Voice may be sung or spoken.
- Text must include the author’s name and an English translation.
- Compositions for a classical acoustic instrument and piano
Duration of Works
Compositions must have a total duration between 4 and 10 minutes.
Performance of finalists’ works by SONUS Festival Guest Artists during the festival 2021.
- A minimum of three works by finalists will be featured on the 2021 SONUS International Music Festival. Monetary Awards
- First prize: $1000 USD
- Second prize: $250
- Third prize: $150 Additional prizes may be awarded at the judges’ discretion
- Submission deadline: June 30, 2021
- Finalists’ compositions will be recorded by SONUS guest artists and will be featured during the 2021 SONUS Festival in October 2021.
- The winner will be announced during the last program of the 2021 SONUS Festival.
- Awards will be listed on the SONUS website.
Rights and Recordings
Winners must give permission for their works to be performed and recorded as part of the SONUS International Music Festival 2021. SONUS-IMF retains the rights to use those recordings for promotional purposes.
Composers retain copyright and all subsequent performance and publication rights to their works.