The Composition Intensive at New England Music Camp
2021 Program dates: July 26, 2021 – August 9, 2021
The Composers Intensive invites composers ages 14-18 for a Festival experience where they develop their creative practice while also building their portfolio under the guidance of two very active composers in the field. Participants will learn specifically about idiomatic writing while building relationships with the musicians on-site for the Chamber Music Intensive. Composers will receive a recording of at least two of their pieces, and benefit from activating the real-world skills they will need to share and grow their music in the future.
Composition Intensive Schedule
9:15 Group Check-in & Meditations on Creativity
9:30 – 10:30 Seminar
10:45 – 12 Composing in Cabins
1:30 – 4 Composing/Recreation/30-min Private lessons
(One with Jessica and one with Alyssa, each week)
4:30 – 6 Seminar or rehearsals
7-8pm Possible rehearsals/readings or free time
8:30 Evening Activity
Seminars will be a mix of:
Student Presentations and Discussions
Students will give short oral presentations on a favorite piece from the standard repertoire and point out why they think a certain section of a particular piece is effective.
As a group we then discuss what we are noticing in the score that makes this work successful or meaningful, then brainstorm how students can apply these strategies to their craft.
Craft & Career Seminars on different topics
What scores should look like
How to work with performers who are performing your music
Delve into the idiomatic strategies and instrument colors unique to each ensemble they will hear at the festival
Real-world skills (networking, access to your work on the internet, social media, building a portfolio)
TWO RECORDING OPPORTUNITIES FOR EACH COMPOSER
#1 Piece written for the Festival
• Upon acceptance in May, composers will receive an assignment for what group from the Chamber Music Intensive they will write for.
• Each group will be comprised of students and one faculty member.
• Composers will work with the Chamber Music Intensive students throughout the two weeks on their piece.
• Scores and parts are due July 1st.
#2 Reading with faculty members
There will be an official reading of pieces by the Faculty that will also be recorded, giving composers an opportunity to get direct feedback by professional players and obtain another recording for their portfolio.
Instrumentation can be subsets of:
Violin, Viola, Cello, Bass, Oboe, Flute, Clarinet, Bassoon, Horn, or Piano
*If a student wants to do both NEMC core camp & the Composition Intensive their cost would be as follows:
- $8500 ($500 savings)
*Financial Aid is available!
Admission and Audition Process
- Register HERE. Please note, the $500 deposit has been waived for all new applicants. It will be due upon admission to the program
- Submit 2-3 original scores (PDFs) and accompanying recordings (MIDI acceptable, submitted as an MP3 or weblink), a short video explaining what excites the camper most about this particular program and how it can make a difference for them at this point in their studies (2 minutes max), and a one-page description of experience (previous experience as a performer, pieces composed (at least 2), teachers, performances of works, camps/festivals). Please submit to the NEMC Registrar at .
- Submit Composition Questionnaire HERE.
- Submissions & Questionnaire will be forwarded to Faculty for review.
- Students will begin to notified of a decision on a rolling basis.
Application and Audition Deadline has been extended and is rolling admission until June 1, 2021.
- High School students age 14-18 with composition experience.
- Students should have their own scores and recordings/MIDI of at least two (2) previous works
Jessica Meyer, Program Coordinator