Call for Scores!
Tribeca New Music announces its 23rd Annual Young Composer Competition (YCC). Its two-fold purpose is to encourage outstanding young composers in the U.S., and to provide a prominent forum for their recognition.
DEADLINE: The 2021 Competition deadline is 11pm EST, Friday, January 15, 2021. The guidelines are below.
All applications must be submitted online. Check this web page for details and updates.
DIVISION 1: Ages 22-35
Composers born from Jan. 1, 1985 through Dec. 31, 1998.
DIVISION 2: Ages 21 & under
Composers born after Dec. 31, 1998
1) Award and Performance
The Grand Prize winning composer in each division will receive
• a $1,000 cash award
• a professional performance of the winning score on the Tribeca New Music 2021 Festival
• one audio/video recording of the performance
These awards are presented at the sole discretion of the TNM Board of Directors.
• All composers who are U.S. citizens or permanent residents and meet the age requirements are eligible.
• Note: Former Division winners of the Young Composer Competition are not eligible for the same Division.
3) Submission Guidelines
• Works may be written for solo, duo, trio, quartet, or quintet.
• Instruments may include any combination of the following: flute (piccolo, alto flute), clarinet (bass clarinet), oboe (English horn), bassoon (contra bassoon), saxophone (soprano, alto, tenor, baritone), French horn, trumpet, trombone (bass trombone), tuba, percussion, guitar (acoustic, electric), accordion, harp, piano, violin, viola, cello, bass.
• Acoustic works that utilize electronic/computer accompaniment are also acceptable.
• Any combination of the above instruments is acceptable. Note: The use of two or more of the same instruments is allowed, i.e., string quartet (two violins), brass quintet (two trumpets), flute quartet (four flutes), etc. Traditional doublings are allowed: flute/piccolo/alto flute; clarinet/bass clarinet; etc.
• All music must be no more than fifteen minutes in duration.
• Works that have been professionally published by an established, reputable publisher are ineligible. Self-published works by the composer are acceptable.
• Composers are allowed a maximum of four entries for the 2020 competition.
4) Submission Items
• Legible full score in PDF format (do not submit parts)
• An audio recording of the piece as an MP3 upload or URL web link — A live performance or studio recording is best. (An audio recording of a computer realization is acceptable if no live performance or studio recording is available. Do not upload MIDI files.)
• Composer biography of no more than 250 words with current address, e-mail address, and phone number in PDF format
• Program notes about each piece you submit, consisting of no more than 250 words
5) Application Fee and Deadline
• The application fee is $35.00 per work. Application fees are non-refundable. (maximum of 4 applications)
• Payable via PayPal or Credit Card
• All entries must be submitted online by 11PM EST, Friday, January 15, 2021.