Call for Scores!
West Edge Opera (in Berkeley/Oakland, CA) is soliciting excerpts of unproduced works combining music and theater to present in Snapshot – a series of performances presented to the public in a professional concert setting celebrating it’s fifth year, having recently been named an “invaluable annual program” by the SF Chronicle’s Joshua Kosman.
Collaborating with San Francisco-based Earplay (www.earplay.org) as the instrumental ensemble, Snapshot is an opportunity for West Coast composers and librettists to get shorter works or excerpts of longer works on their feet with world class vocalists and instrumentalists. The performances are attended by the general public and are profiled and reviewed by high profile publications including the San Francisco Chronicle, KDFC, KQED, and SF Classical Voice.
Snapshot seeks to champion both established and emerging West Coast composers and librettists and ultimately create a collaborative and supportive community for creators, performers, and audience members who are passionate about the future of opera and music theater.
- Works must have not received a fully staged production.
- Applicants may be of any age or nationality.
- Either the composer or librettist must have resided on the west coast (CA, OR, or WA) for at least 4 years in the last 20.
- Composer or Librettist must be present in the San Francisco Bay Area for the week of the performance to participate in rehearsals and related activities (we are unable to offer a travel stipend, but can help arrange home stays).
- The program will be during the weekend of March 12-13, 2021 at the Wilsey Center in San Francisco and Preservation Park in Oakland
- Excerpts should be between 10 and 20 minutes long and use a maximum of 4 performers/singers.
- Excerpts that show dramatic interest are preferred. 15 minutes that show a development of character or situation are preferred to static or expository arias.
- If there are multiple excerpts from the piece that you think would work, you may suggest up to TWO excerpts. If you are attaching the entire score, make it very clear which excerpts are to be considered.
- Call for Submissions Closes: October 1st, 2020. Selections will be announced by: November 2nd, 2020.
- Performance ready vocal scores must be completed by Nov 15, 2020.
- Score and parts (orchestrated for Snapshot ensemble) must be completed by Dec 1, 2020.
- Please note, this is not a workshop. Excerpts will be performed as they were submitted without opportunity for significant revisions or changes.
- Successful submissions will be asked to orchestrate for our small ensemble of piano and up to 6 instruments (violin, viola, cello, bass, flute, clarinet).
- Selected submittors will be asked to participate in an interview video to be shown before each excerpt during the program, and put on our website.
- After the performance, composers and librettists will be provided with an audio recording. Creative teams can specify brief video excerpts for grant writing purposes to be hosted on the West Edge Opera web site.