- This event has passed.
2021 Sunflower Music Festival: Chamber Orchestra & Panel Discussion on Women’s Rights
June 26, 2021 @ 6:30 pm - 7:30 pm CDT
One event on June 26, 2021 at 7:30 pm
The 2021 Sunflower Music Festival will honor women in music. This expanded project pays homage to females in music and the arts through showcasing both past and contemporary female composers, current female performers and soloists, important female figures in music and women’s rights, and art of the Suffrage Movement. Our project has won multiple endorsements and grants from the National Endowment of the Arts.
Browse our programming below to see all Sunflower will offer celebrating women in music:
- Performance of FANFARE FOR THE UNCOMMON WOMAN by Joan Tower (written in 1987 and revised in 1997)
- The one-woman Music/Theatre production, WOMAN ON A LEDGE, with internationally acclaimed harpist, Rita Costanzi
- A Jazz Night performance featuring vocalist Deborah Brown
- An exhibition at the Mulvane Art Museum of works by women during the Suffrage era
- A panel discussion on Women’s Rights with several notable female leaders, composer Libby Larsen (ACF’s co-founder and a BandQuest composer), conductor JoAnn Falletta and Washburn University President Jerry Farley
- A premiere of Libby Larsen’s chamber orchestra composition, THE SUPREME FOUR, using the words of the four women Supreme Court Justices and narrated by Kansas Governor, Laura Kelly
Date & Time: Saturday, June 26, 2021
- The Panel Discussion is at 6:30 PM CT
- The Chamber Orchestra at 7:30 PM CT