McKnight Visiting Composer Residencies
The application deadline for this program has passed.
The American Composers Forum is pleased to announce the 2013 McKnight Visiting Composers Program. This program is made possible by the generous support of The McKnight Foundation. The McKnight Foundation also funds artist fellowship programs in ceramic arts, choreography, dance, literature, music performance, photography, playwriting and theater arts, screenwriting and filmmaking, and visual arts, administered respectively by the Northern Clay Center, Northrop Auditorium, The Loft, MacPhail Center for Music, mnartists.org, Playwrights’ Center, Independent Feature Project/North, and Minneapolis College of Art and Design.
- The American Composers Forum will select up to two composers to design and produce their own residencies.
- Visiting composers should expect to spend approximately 60 days in Minnesota, working on projects with a Minnesota community—or communities—of their choosing (although preferably not a musical community).
- Visiting composers are expected to complete their projects within 18 months of receiving the award.
- This is not a commissioning program, although new work may be part of the residency. In keeping with the Forum’s commitment to promoting awareness and understanding of living composers, this program encourages interaction with a variety of venues where new music is rarely heard, such as rural areas, schools, community centers, and with participants who may not have worked with a composer before.
Panelists will assess the:
- Creative potential, imagination, and effectiveness of the proposed project.
- Consistent high quality of applicant’s previous work.
- Anticipated value of the residency project for the designated community.
- Significance of this program to the composer’s career.
Specific partner organizations do not have to be identified at the time of application, although that is strongly encouraged. The panel is more interested in project designs that are promising while still being feasible. Selected composers will be asked to develop their plans prior to beginning the residency.
Up to two fellowships of $15,000 will be awarded.
- Only composers living outside Minnesota are eligible.
- Composers working in any style are encouraged to apply.
- Full-time students are not eligible.
- Recipients of 2010, 2011 and 2012 McKnight Visiting Composer Fellowships and/or McKnight Fellowships in any discipline are not eligible.
- Artists may apply to only one of the twelve McKnight fellowship programs in a given year.
- Composers do not have to be members of the American Composers Forum to apply.
- Fellowship staff from any McKnight Artist Fellowship program are not eligible.
- Fellowship staff and board of the American Composers Forum and immediate family are not eligible.
- Staff and board of The McKnight Foundation are not eligible, as well as immediate family members of foundation arts program staff.
A panel of three composers from outside Minnesota chosen for their familiarity with diverse genres of new music will review applications and select fellowship recipients.
For more information about this program contact:
McKnight Visiting Composers:
2013: Chris Coyle and Jin Hi Kim
Panelists: Anne LeBaron, Nicole Mitchell, Sven-David Sandstrom
2012: Hugh Livingston and Charles Peck
Panelists: Nancy Galbraith, Graham Reynolds, Huang Ruo
2011: William J. Lackey, Kanniks Kannikeswaran
Panelists: Linda Dusman, J.D. Parran, Jack Perla
2010: Ellen Fullman, David James Nielsen
Panelists: Fernando Benadon, David Conte, Mary Jane Leach
2009: Eve Beglarian, Ryan Ingebritsen
Panelists: Derek Bermel, Jennifer Bilfield, Newman Baker
2008: Jeff Herriot, William Neil
Panelists: Mark Applebaum, Margaret Leng-Tan, David Stock
2007: Billy Fox, Evan Solot
Panelists: Susie Ibarra, Matthew Levy, Steven Stucky
2006: Sidiki Conde, Stuart Hyatt
Panelists: Milford Graves, Belinda Reynolds, Neil Rolnick
2005: Todd Hammes, Susan Haugh
Panelists: Eleanor Hovda, Robert Moran, Roger Kleier
2004: Michelle Nagai, Ushio Torikai
Panelists: Jason Hwang, Alex Shapiro, Kevin Stahlheim
2003: Oliver Lake, John Morton
Panelists: Fred Frith, Anthony deMare, Ileana Perez Velazquez
2002: Steven Rosenthal, Janek Schaefer
Panelists: Joel Chadabe, Melissa Hui, David Cleary
2001: Kenny Endo, Annie Gosfield & Roger Kleier
Panelists: Chinary Ung, Eve Beglarian, Philip Bimstein
2000: Fred Ho, Beth Custer
Panelists: Bill Brooks, Tamar Diesendruck, Adolphus Hailstork
1999: Brenda Hutchinson, Susan Rawcliffe
Panelists: Ellen Christi, Allen Strange, Regina Baiocchi
1998: Ron George, Richard Johnson
Panelists: John Duffy, Fred Ho, Judith Shatin
1997: Ermir Dergjini, Pamela Z
Panelists: Sebastian Currier, Anne Deane, Gustavo Matamoros
1996: Brent Michael Davids, David Revill
Panelists: Orlando Garcia, James Tenney, Augusta Reed Thomas
1995: William Banfield, Dan Senn
Panelists: Warren Burt, Fran Richard, Lois Vierk