Some print and online resources for music educations compiled by Carey Nadeau and Nyssa Brown. These resources are available to continue an exploration of composing, improvising, and arranging music with your students. Contact Suzanna Altman to add more items to this list.
Books and Articles:
- Kaschub, M., & Smith, J. (2009). Minds on Music: Composition for Creative and Critical Thinking. Co-published by MENC and Roman & Littlefield. A textbook for pre-service and practicing music educators; includes a rationale for the presence of composition in the music education program and a review of children's compositional practices to date in grades Pre-K to 12.
- Ruthmann, A. (2007). The Composers' Workshop: An Approach to Composing in the Classroom. Music Educators Journal, 93, 38-43. A focus on the parallels between the process of composing music at a computer and the process students use to write in language arts classrooms.
- Hickey, M. (Ed.). (2003). Why and How to Teach Music Composition. Reston, VA: MENC. Based on a Northwestern University Music Education Leadership Seminar; A collection of essays and articles. Useful for educators' research/investigation into student creating.
Web-based Resources for Educators:
- Music by Kids for Kids on wikispaces. A place to virtually share music composed by your students for critical feedback from professional composers.
- KUSC at University of Southern California studio
- Morton Subotnik's Creating Music
- Download free sheet music
- Dr. Joe Pisano's website on music, technology, and education
- Freeware music notation software: MuseScore Musette Rosegarden
- Music Mavericks from American Public Media
- Garage Band
- Phil Tulga's website, music through the curriculum
- More free resources for educators ("must-have downloadable freebies for the school year")
Interactive sites for students:
- Baltimore Symphony Orchestra
- Carnegie Hall Listening Adventures
- Dallas Symphony Orchestra
- New York Philharmonic Kid Zone
- Play Music from American Symphony Orchestra League
- Nickelodeon Groove Tools
- Loop Labs
- Online ear training
- Note Flight: create a score with tools and embed the score on other sites - plays a MIDI file when done
- Jam Studio
- Create your own ringtones!
Additional Composer Service Organizations:
Minnesota Teaching Artist Resources:
For more information contact: