About the Champion of New Music Award
The Champion of New Music Award was established by the American Composers Forum (ACF) in 2005 as a national mark of recognition to honor individuals and ensembles that have made a significant and sustained contribution over time to the work and livelihoods of contemporary composers. It is made each year to individuals and/or organizations across a broad range of disciplines including, but not limited to, performance, commissioning, education, recording, and/or funding. Awardees are nominated and selected by the American Composers Forum Board of Directors.
The ACF Board has voted to present its 2017 Champion of New Music Award to three outstanding recipients:
- The award to Charles Amirkhanian was given on Saturday, May 20, 2017 in San Francisco during a concert featuring the Gamelan masterpieces of Lou Harrison at Mission Dolores.
- The award to Donald Nally and The Crossing was given on Saturday, July 1, 2017 in Philadelphia following the final concert of the Month of Modern series featuring the world premiere of Anonymous Man by Michael Gordon.
- The award to the International Alliance for Women in Music will be given at the IAWM Annual Concert on Saturday, October, 28, 2017 at the University of Kansas.
- Gil Kalish: pianist and founding member of Contemporary Chamber Ensemble
- Nicole Paiement: Opera Parallèle’s artistic director, conductor, and founder
- Alex Ross: new music writer, blogger, and New Yorker columnist
- Robert Spano: conductor, pianist, composer, and pedagogue
- American Composers Orchestra: orchestra focused on contemporary American music
- Claire Chase: flutist and director of the International contemporary Ensemble (ICE)
- Michael Morgan: conductor
- Marin Alsop: Music Director of Baltimore Symphony
- Frances Richard: director emeritus of ASCAP Concert Division
- Steven Schick: performer and percussionist
- No award made as program was re-evaluated by Board of Directors.
- JACK Quartet: string quartet dedicated to contemporary classical music
- eighth blackbird: contemporary music sextet
- Bill Ryan: composer, conductor, educator, producer
- Osmo Vänskä: Music Director of Minnesota Orchestra
- Philip Brunelle: scholar, organist, and founder and conductor of VocalEssence
- Bruce Carlson: Executive Director of The Schubert Club, awarded posthumously
- Dale Warland: founder and conductor of the Dale Warland Singers
- Cindy Gehrig and the Jerome Foundation: in celebration of 25 years of commissioning through the Foundation