McKnight Composer Fellowship
The application deadline for this program has passed.
The American Composers Forum is pleased to announce the 2013 McKnight Artist Fellowships for Composers. This program is made possible by the generous support of The McKnight Foundation. The McKnight Foundation also funds artist fellowship programs in ceramic arts, choreography, dance, literature, music performance, photography, playwriting and theater arts, screenwriting and filmmaking, and visual arts, administered respectively by the Northern Clay Center, Northrop Auditorium, The Loft, MacPhail Center for Music, mnartists.org, Playwrights’ Center, Independent Feature Project/North, and Minneapolis College of Art and Design.
The intent of this program is to enrich and strengthen the state of Minnesota by acknowledging the accomplishments of composers and providing for their artistic growth.
The fellowships provide recognition and financial support for mid-career composers working in any musical genre. The program is designed to award composers whose work is of exceptional artistic merit, who have created a substantial body of work over a period of time, and who are at a career stage that is beyond emerging.
- Four fellowships of $25,000 in unrestricted funds will be awarded.
- Fellows also have an opportunity to devote up to one month of concentrated time to work in an artist residency setting of their choice. Planning for this residency occurs during the fellowship year, and Fellows have up to four years to implement the plan.
- The intent of this program is to award composers who live and work in Minnesota; have made a significant artistic contribution to this community and who will continue their artistic growth in Minnesota.
- Composers working in any style are encouraged to apply.
- Applicants must have been continuous residents of Minnesota for at least one year prior to the application deadline.
- Fellows must remain in residence in Minnesota during the fellowship year or forfeit the award.
- Full-time students are not eligible.
- Recipients of 2010, 2011 and 2012 McKnight Fellowships in any discipline are not eligible.
- Fellowship staff from any McKnight Artist Fellowship program are not eligible.
- Staff and board members of the American Composers Forum and immediate family are not eligible.
- Staff and board members of The McKnight Foundation are not eligible, as well as immediate family members of foundation arts program staff.
- Artists may apply to only one of the twelve McKnight fellowship programs in a given year.
- Composers do not have to be members of the American Composers Forum to apply.
- If you previously received a McKnight fellowship, the selection panel will look for continued outstanding work since the last award. The panel may also look for continued growth. Your work samples should focus on the period of time since your last award.
A panel of three composers from outside Minnesota chosen for their familiarity with diverse genres of new music will review applications and select fellowship recipients.
For more information contact:
McKnight Composer Fellows:
- 2013: Randy Bauer, Scott Miller, Joshua Musikantow and David Evan Thomas
Panelists: Anne LeBaron, Nicole Mitchell and Sven-David Sandstrom
- 2012: Viv Corringham, Christopher Danforth, Douglas R. Ewart and Steve Tibbetts
Panelists: Nancy Galbraith, Graham Reynolds, Huang Ruo
- 2011:Elizabeth Alexander, Justin Merritt, Jeremy Wagner and Spencer Wirth-Davis
Panelists: Linda Dusman, J.D. Parran and Jack Perla
- 2010: Neal Hagberg, Jocelyn Hagen, Ann Millikan and Peter O'Gorman
Panelists: Fernando Benadon, David Conte and Mary Jane Leach
- 2009: Abbie Betinis, Mankwe Ndosi, Schuyler Tsuda and Janika Vandervelde
Panelists: Derek Bermel, Jennifer Bilfield and Newman Baker
- 2008: John E. Bower, Brent Michael Davids, Philip Fried and Noah Keesecker
Panelists: Mark Applebaum, Margaret Leng-Tan and David Stock
- 2007:Douglas Ewart, Douglas Geers, Adam Wernick and Preston Wright
Panelists: Susie Ibarra, Matthew Levy and Steven Stucky
- 2006:Mary Ellen Childs, Viv Corringham, Edie Hill and Aaron Kerr
Panelists: Milford Graves, Belinda Reynolds and Neil Rolnick
- 2005:Yawo Attivor, Carol Barnett, Eric Barnum and Thomas Scott
Panelists: Fred Frith, Anthony deMare and Ileana Perez Velazquez
- 2004:Ruth MacKenzie, Mike Olson, Matthew Smith and Ying Zang
Panelists: Jason Hwang, Alex Shapiro and Kevin Stahlheim
- 2003: Michael Croswell, Jeffrey Brooks, Janika Vandervelde and George Cartwright
Panelists: Eleanor Hovda, Robert Moran and Roger Kleier
- 2002: Brent Michael Davids, James Harley, Barb Ryman and Preston Wright
Panelists: Joel Chadabe, Melissa Hui and David Cleary
- 2001:Steve Heitzeg, John O'Brien, Scott Miller and Edie Hill
Panelists: Chinary Ung, Eve Beglarian and Philip Bimstein
- 2000: Erik Belgum, Douglas Ewart, John Jindra, David Means and Victor Zupanc
Panelists: Bill Brooks, Tamar Diesendruck and Adolphus Hailstork
- 1999: Chris Bates, Dan Kallman, Anne Kilstofte, Monte Mason and Carei Thomas
Panelists: Ellen Christi, Allen Strange and Regina Baiocchi
- 1998:Maura Bosch, Jeffrey Brooks, Doug Little and Carl Witt
Panelists: John Duffy, Fred Ho and Judith Shatin
- 1997: Mary Ellen Childs, Anthony Gatto, Michael Karmon, Schoen Oslund and Gary Wolber
Panelists: Sebastian Currier, Anne Deane and Gustavo Matamoros
- 1996:Keith Bradshaw, Jan Gilbert, Edie Hill, Michael Nelson, Richard Paske and Russell Platt
Panelists: Orlando Garcia, James Tenney and Augusta Reed Thomas
- 1995: Ellen Lease, David Means, Kevin Schmidt, Gary Schulte, Lorren Stafford and Zhang Ying
Panelists: Warren Burt, Fran Richard and Lois Vierk
- 1994:John Baboukis, Jeffrey Brooks, Craig Carnahan, Anne Kilstofte, Ethan Torrey, Janika Vandervelde and Victor Zupanc
Panelists: Bun-Ching Lam, Susan McClary and Larry Polansky
- 1993:Marc Anderson, Tristan Fuentes, Marjorie Hess, William Lang, Carleton Macy, Lori Westmoreland-Schoenfeld, Paul Siskind and Steve Tibbetts
Panelists: Mary Ann Feldman, Steven Mackey and Larry Polansky
- 1992:Mary Ellen Childs, Douglas Ewart, Cary John Franklin, Henry Gwiazda, Paul Koonce, Charles McHugh, Monica Maye and David Evan Thomas
Panelists: Robert Paredes, Jeanette O'Connor and Vincent Plush
- 1991:John Devine, Jan Gilbert, Eleanor Hovda, Daniel Kallman, Homer Lambrecht and David Means
Panelists: Carman Moore, Ingram Marshall and Marion Brandis
- 1990: Carl Bergmann, Jeffrey Brooks, Arthur Campbell, Mark Hellum, David John Olsen and Eric Stokes
Panelists: Cindy McTee, Martin Bresnick and Elinor Armer
- 1989: Marc Anderson, Michelle Kinney and Ellen Lease
Panelists: Reggie Workman, Alice Parker and James Moberly
- 1988:Miriam Gerberg, Jan Gilbert, Eleanor Hovda and Sarah Peebles
Panelists: Kenneth Gaburo, Alan Otte and Carol Plantamura
- 1987: Mary Ellen Childs, Randall Davidson and Philip Rhodes
Panelists: Michael Fleming, Ed London and Nancy Shear